[b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Sat Mar 13 02:51:28 EST 2004

Dear Bryan,

In order to give an adequate answer I need to point out some basic
weaknesses in peoples' dealing with aspects. I have already claimed
that a basic weakness in modern studies which argue that Semitic
verbs represent tenses, is the lack of systematic distinction between
past reference and past tense (and future as well). There is a
similar basic weakness in studies which argue that Semitic verbs
represent aspects, namely the lack of analysis of the concept
"aspect". Very often, all that is done, is to use the vague and wrong
definition of B. Comrie (He confuses Aktionsart and aspect), and this
often leads to the view that the perfective and imperfective aspects
are mutually exclusive.

In my thesis I define tense as the relationship between reference
time and the deictic centre, and this is the traditional definition.
Tenses, such, as past and future are mutually exclusive, but in many
languages present can be used with past, present and future
reference, and therefore is no tense.  I define aspect as the
relationship between reference time and event time, and this means
that aspect represents non-deictic time while tense represents
deictic time. We should not be satisfied with the mentioned aspectual
definition, but try to find the essence of aspect. In order to do
that I have developed three parameters related to the intersection of
event time by reference time by which to analyze aspect: the quality
of focus, the angle of focus, and the breadth of focus. Because there
are two aspects, we can by the help of the three parameters compare
aspects in different languages in six different areas. A comparison
of English and Hebrew aspects give the following result:

		The quality of focus   The angle of focus	The
breadth of focus
The imperfective aspect	SIMILAR	                DIFFERENT
SIMILAR
The perfective aspect	SIMILAR		DIFFERENT		 DIFFERENT

The most important area is the angle of focus, where both aspects are
different in the two languages. The consequence is that English and
Hebrew aspects are fundamentally different, English aspects are
objective, because the imperfective aspect shows that the event *is
no*t terminated at reference time while the perfective aspect
indicate that the event *is* terminated at reference time. Hebrew
asepcts are subjective because both aspects can refer to incomplete
and completed events, to  past, present, and future, and to
indicative and modal events.

The last sentence does not indicate that there is linguistic anarchy
in Hebrew, but rather that the aspects are not mutually exclusive,
and that there are several areas where both aspects can be used
without any distinction in meaning. It is the linguistic conventions
that give meaning to the use of verbs. We can illustrate the case
with the active participle and infinitive construct. These two forms
have different meanings and different uses, but they are not mutually
exclusive. Occasionally, therefore, an infinitive is used where we
expect a participle, vice versa. But normally linguistic convention
causes an orderly use of both.

When we communicate, we use different areas of precision. In one
context it is enough to speak of "a thing," in another we use
"vehicle," in a third "car," and in a fourth "Ford". The perfective
and imperfective Hebrew aspects are similar in certain areas and
different in others, and in in many contexts in the Tanakh there is
no need to be more specific than "thing" or "vehicle," thus both
aspects can be used. There may also be certain stylistic reasons for
the use of both aspects. Psalm 2:1-2 is a fine example of a
parallellistic use of both aspects (two YIQTOLs and two QATALs). Who
will say that the author wanted to to signal two different time
references or two different notions by the use of the two aspects?
There are hundreds of similar examples. One of the most important
chapters of my thesis is the one where I analyze a lot of examples
where both aspects are used with no meaning difference and lots of
others where the choice of one particular aspect is important, or
even mandatory in order to convey a particular thought.

Then to Psalm 107, which I once used in a book on Bible translation
as an example translation problems if the traditional view of the
Hebrew conjugations are followed.

As to different translations I gave the following list (P=past, Pr=
present, and F=future, Q= QATAL, WQ= WEQATAL, Y= YIQTOL,
WY=WAYYIQTOL, and WEY= WEYIQTOL.

NRSV   P:2-20, PR: 23-42
NAB    P:1-42,                    F: 43
ASV:   P: 1-16,PR: 17-41, F: 43
NASB: P: 1-30, PR: 33-43
NIV:    P: 1-41, PR: 42-43
NJB:   P: 1-36, PR:37-43
NKJV: P: 1-20, PR: 23-43
RSV:   P: 1-30, PR: 33-43
TEV     P: 1-41, PR 42-43

We see that while the translations differ in their use of English
tenses, they apply the same tense to all the verbs of particular
sections of the Psalm. But look at all the different verb forms in
each section:

Section 1: vv. 2-7:     Q:4, WY 2, Y: 3
      "     2 : vv 9-14:   Q: 5, WY:2, Y: 3
      "     3 : vv 16-20: Q: 2, WY:2, Y: 4,WEY: 2
      "     4 : vv 23-30: Q: 1, WY: 7, Y: 8, WEY:1
      "     5:  vv: 33-43 Q: 1, WY:12, Y: 4, WEY:3

The traditional four-component model causes linguistic anarchy, but
the two-component model (YIQTOL, WAYYIQTOL, and WEYIQTOL  all
represent the imperfective aspect, and QATAL and WEQATAL represent
the perfective aspect) with the dfinition of aspect outlined above,
can explain everything without any problems.

So to verses 19-20 that you ask about. I interpret the verbs like this:

19. the WAYYIQTOL- imperfective "they began calling",
19.    the YIQTOL: (1) "he saved them," or (1) "he caused them to be
saved," or (3) "he always saved them". the  imperfective aspect is
used to expressed an action that was completed before the deictic
centre. But where does reference time intersect event time? In a
translation with ordinary people as the target group I would have
used (1 or (3)). It is a myth that YIQTOL with past reference
indicates the so-called "durative past" I would say that what is made
visible by the YIQTOL either is a small part of the saving event (RT
intersects ET at the nucleus (1)), or the habitual act of saving (2).

20: The one YIQTOL and the two WEYIQTOLs have the same imperfective
force. I will translate either (1)  "He continued to send his word
and heal them, and he rescued them from the pit, or (2) "He sent his
word and healed them, and he rescued them from the pit." In (1) the
habitual element is stressed, and (2) does not stress anything
particular. I would say that what is made visible by the YIQTOL and
the first WEYIQTOL is a small part in the middle with details visible
(RT intersects ET at the nucleus); the last WEYIQTOL which is in the
Piel stem, may be resultative (RT intersects ET after the end).

As to the WEYIQTOLs in the past context, I take them as an example of
the problems the Masoretes had when they should differentiate between
WAYYIQTOLs and WEYIQTOLs in poetic texts. It seems to me that the
Masoretes would use WAY(Y)  in past contexts and WE(Y) in future and
modal contexts. But when the temporal/modal reference was not clear,
they often "erred" in relation to this scheme.

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli

University of Oslo