[b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Fri Mar 12 19:53:13 EST 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 05:40, George Athas wrote:
> Hi Peter (and others)!
>
> I am arguing for two distinct verb forms -- that is, a differentiation
> between the verbal element of WAYYIQTOL forms (wayYIQTOL), and the pure
> Imperfect YIQTOL. I believe there to be a distinct aspectual difference
> between the two. This is *not* based on an understanding that WAYYIQTOL is
> really a YIQTOL with a waw that inverts the tense. I think that is an
> erroneous view. I understand the Preterite, which stands behind WAYYIQTOL
> forms, to have had a different aspect to the Imperfect YIQTOL. As such,
> this removes the need to see the waw consecutive as a necessarily distinct
> type of waw.
[snip]

George,
I'm not sure I follow you here.  If it's not a "distinct type of waw" then how
does it alter the aspect of the verb?  Also, how do you go about identifying
the verb element as either a preterite or a "pure imperfect YIQTOL"?  And I
don't see WeYIQTOL described; how does it fit into this schema?  Please
develop the idea further...

Thanks!

--
Dave Washburn