[b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Thu Mar 11 02:57:21 EST 2004

Dear George,

I appreciate your thoughts below and would like to add a few points.
I have compared all the normal and apocopated verbs of WAYYIQTOL,
WEYIQTOL, and YIQTOL, and my conclusion is that there is no
systematic difference along the lines: apocopation-WAYYIQTOL and
non-apocopation-WEYIQTOL/YIQTOL. Apocopation can be explained on the
basis of phonetics and linguistic convention and need in no way be
semantic. A study of Ugaritic and Akkadian verbs and the
Akkadian-Canaanite forms of the Amarna tablets reveal two things, 1)
that an old short preterit is not established in any of these
languages, and 2) that the supposed links between the apocopated
forms of Classical Hebrew and the short prefix forms in the mentioned
languages are very weak, if they exist at all.

In order to throw light on a possible Masoretic invention of
WAYYIQTOL and WEQATAL one should not only read  the tractates of the
Masoretes but take a look at the works of the Karites as well. I
recommend G. Kahn (2000). "The early Karaite Tradition of Hebrew
Grammatical Thought," Brill, Leyden. In my view, the most basic error
in modern grammatical works on Hebrew, Ugaritic, Akkadian, and the
Amarna tablets is that so few scholars differentiate between past
*tense* and past *reference* (and future tense and future reference
as well).  It seems that most scholars take for granted that past
reference=past tense.  One of the few scholars who make this
distinction is Z. Ben-Hayyim (2000). "A Grammar of Samaritan Hebrew,"
Eisenbrauns

The Karaites in the 11th century seem to a certain degree to have
distinguished between past reference and past tense, but it seems
that the first, and possibly later, Masoretes did not distinguish
between the two. The distinction between WEYIQTOL and WAYYIQTOL which
is based on shewa versus patah is very small, particularly when we
realize that the default pronunciation of shewa in Masoretic times
was as a "a"-sound similar to the pronunciation of patah. I therefore
suggest that the Masoretes pointed WAYYIQTOL and WEQATAL as they did,
because so many of these forms are used with past and future
reference respectively, and not because they viewed then as semantic
units different from YIQTOL and QATAL  respectively. That is also the
reason why the Masoretes "erred" in so many instances in relation to
their own system, and WAYYIQTOL often does not represent past
reference and WEQATAL does not represent future reference in the
poetic and prophetic books.  Because in these books it is often
difficult to establish the correct time reference.  So my suggestion
is that the Masoretes, who were not grammarians, did not intend to
create four different semantic units (WAYYIQTOL, YIQTOL, QATAL and
WEQATAL), but they simply made a small distinction between groups of
verbs which often had past or future reference. However, some
Qaraites and other early grammarians reinterpreted the Masoretic
pointing in *semantic* terms. Thus the system of four conjugations
that we have today were created.

Best regards,

Rolf

Rolf Furuli