[b-hebrew] Fw: Aramaic to them?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Mar 10 13:31:17 EST 2004

Peter,
Somehow I get the feeling that we're both saying the same thing, only
different :-)  I frankly found Blau's paragraph confusing, precisely because
he made that passing reference to "some sort of Middle Hebrew" and I'm not
sure what he means by that.  This is why I want to read the entire article
before I go further, because I'm hoping he explained some of those things
elsewhere in it.  In any case, I don't claim that Hebrew was a "dead"
language at the time of the scrolls, either.  I suspect it was a (primarily)
religious language, though not really in common use by the populace in
everyday life.  In this regard, I tend to think that the archaeological
evidence supports such a hypothesis, because the evidence that we have,
including the "sectarian" scrolls, ossuaries and the like, are religious in
nature.  In the case of the Bar Kokhba materials, I think it's fairly clear
that he was trying to bring about a resoration of the "good ol' days,"
including use of Hebrew as the common language, and hence the usage that we
see in those materials is, to a great degree, somewhat artificially
constructed rather than a natural use of a mother tongue.  Of course, YMMV.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur