[b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Wed Mar 10 09:08:14 EST 2004

Dear Karl,

There are several misunderstandings in your post; see below:

>Uri:
>
>snip
>
>The conclusion I draw is that the major
>linguistic influences during that period were
>Aramaic, followed by Greek and, my knowledge
>is thanks to this forum, apparently Latin too.
>Hebrew was a fossil language that continued to
>be used for official records, religion and
>high literature but not fluently spoken except
>by a educated elite (though most could
>understand at least some of it). Thus the loss
>of the WAYYIQTOL form.

There is absolutely no evidence that the Jews forgot their language
during the Babylonian captivity. A language is sociologically
speaking the essence of national unity, so that Hebrew should be
forgotten during three generations in Babylon is simply unbelievable.

Around the beginning of the first millennium C.E. there is evidence
that both Hebrew and Aramaic were spoken languages. The question is
whether the mother tongue of Jeshua was Hebrew, and whether Aramaic
was the language of the educated people, or whether the opposite were
true. Geographical location could have played a role as well, as
Greek was widespread in some areas, perhaps at the expense of one of
the other languages. The evidence of the NT is that Hebrew was the
common language (Acts 21:40;22:2; 26:14) in the situations addressed.
The Aramaic and Hebrew words in the NT can be taken both ways, either
to show that the mother tongue of Jeshua was Aramaic (He used Aramaic
sentences), or that his mother tongue was not Aramaic (because his
Aramaic words were quoted but not translated, suggesting that they
were extraordinary and therefore should be transcribed). The same can
be said regarding his use of hebrew words. It is worth noting that
Josephus distinguishes between "Hebrew" and "Syriac" (Aramaic), and
this lends credence to the view that when the NT says "Hebrew," it
means "Hebrew". All the writings in Hebrew made at Qumran and
imported to Qumran similarly suggest that Hebrew was a  living
language in the last centuries B.C.E. and the first century C.E.

>Another evidence of fossil use of the language
>is the fossilization of spelling during a time
>of pronunciation shift. The pronunciations
>preserved by the Masorites were not the same
>as those spoken even at the end of the Galut
>Babel. (Frozen spellings are fairly rare in
>living languages, it is only within the last
>couple of centuries that it was considered a
>mark of an educated man to have consistent
>spelling in English. Some languages have
>periodic adjustments in their written
>languages to reflect shifts in pronunciation.
>Even in English the dictatorship of
>dictionaries will come to an end.)

As to WAYYIQTOL,  there is no evidence for its existence before the
5th century C.E. There is no distinction between WAYYIQTOL  and
WEYIQTOL (the conjunction WAW+YIQTOL) at Qumran, and there is no
distinction between the two in the transcriptions in the second
column of Origen's Hexapla. I argue in my coning thesis that there is
strong evidence that the Masoretes was the inventors of the
distinction between WEYIQTOL and WAYYIQTOL, although the meaning the
Masoretes ascribed to WAYYIQTOL  was different from the meaning
ascribed to it from David Kimhi onward. If this is true, it means
that the concept WAYYIQTOL  only is a fiction, a misunderstanding
based un a wrong interpretation of of Masoretic pointing. Thus the
WAYYIQTOL form could not be lost at any given point of time, because
it has never existed as an independent semantic unit!

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo