[b-hebrew] Fw: WAYYIQTOL

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Mar 9 19:08:56 EST 2004

On 09/03/2004 16:00, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Another evidence of fossil use of the language
>is the fossilization of spelling during a time
>of pronunciation shift. The pronunciations
>preserved by the Masorites were not the same
>as those spoken even at the end of the Galut
>Babel. (Frozen spellings are fairly rare in
>living languages, ...

And there are no frozen spellings in Hebrew in the period in question.
Note for example the rise of the use of alef as a vowel letter, almost
unknown in the Hebrew Bible (apart from the Aramaic sections) but common
in the DSS I understand. Note also the increasing use of vav and yod as
vowel letters (already partly seen in Chronicles, relative to parallel
passages in Samuel and Kings) - the result being that long vowels were
almost always marked (as in Arabic, but not a sign of Arabic influence
of course). Good evidence that there was a living language.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/