[b-hebrew] Fw: Aramaic to them?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Mar 8 00:18:18 EST 2004

Peter:

It is precisely the simplification of grammatical forms and the fossilization of spelling that lead me to think that
Hebrew had ceased to be a spoken language among the masses in the market, in the work place and at the
hearth. Transliterations that I have seen from the Second Temple period indicate that there was a pronunciation
shift, a pronunciation shift that was apparently consistant with Aramaic, that was not reflected in lexeme
spellings. That is an indication of fossilization. And that the verbal forms gradually shifted away from the
Biblical forms to parallel the usages in the writers' mother tongues is again indicative that Hebrew was a
language used well only by an elite, and even they were not always very well versed in the language.

Karl W. Randolph.