[b-hebrew] Fw: Aramaic to them?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Mar 6 08:24:18 EST 2004

On 06/03/2004 05:02, Ken Penner wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>I would be interested to know what references you (or others) use as the
>basis for the view expressed below (Morag? Kutscher?). My understanding is
>that the question is very much in dispute, but if someone has made a very
>strong case, I want to make sure I include it in my dissertation.

I am not using any references, I am using my own intuition as a linguist
plus half-remembered readings of others' articles (including your pilot
project, Ken,
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/westerholm/thesis/Pilot.pdf).

I would be very interested in any counter-arguments, from those who are
actually aware of the differences between dead and living languages. I
presume that the changes between BH and Mishnaic Hebrew are not in
dispute (although their dating may be in dispute cf. your pilot
project). Has anyone given evidence of analogous changes happening in
dead languages?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/