[b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts

Philip Engmann phil-eng at ighmail.com
Sat Mar 6 02:52:40 EST 2004

>3.      The Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) are discovered manuscripts from
>Qumran, which date from around 168 BC to about 68 AD.[4]
>4.      So LXX is older than the DSS by about 100 years.

Date of oldest MSS: Large parts of the Hebrew Bible are preserved in the

DSS. Only a few scraps of the LXX are preserved; the earliest MSS of
substantial parts of the LXX are 4th-5th centuries CE if I remember
rightly.

So the Hebrew text clearly wins on both comparisons of age, for what
it's worth.

The oldest witnesses to the LXX include a 2nd century BC fragments of
Leviticus and Deuteronomy (Rahlfs nos. 801, 819, and 957), and 1st
century BC fragments of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers,
Deuteronomy, and the Minor Prophets (Rahlfs nos. 802, 803, 805, 848,
942, and 943).
http://www.fact-index.com/s/se/septuagint.html