[b-hebrew] War machines and missiles in 2 chronicles

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Mar 6 01:42:25 EST 2004

Peter, Harold and others:

I should have looked up a thesaurus before making my question. Projectile is a fitting term.

$LX is in the root of sending out, and as a weapon would be that which is sent out, such as a projectile.

X$BNWT both from its context and root indicates that these are war machines, though it does not indicate what sort of machine.

While there are a lot of words where we still have only a general idea of what a term means, that is not an excuse to take only a general term, we should be as specific as we can. This is one of the complaints I have against most dictionaries, for when a generalized term is used, why not a more generalized term, why not a term so generalized that it is practically meaningless?

Though in this example, a generalized term does not make much difference, in other cases can lead to misunderstanding. And it makes it much harder to learn a language. At least I found it much harder to learn vocabulary when most terms are generalized terms, and it was hard to differentiate synonyms.

Karl W. Randolph.