[b-hebrew] War machines and missiles in 2 chronicles

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Mar 5 18:41:43 EST 2004

On 05/03/2004 15:18, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

>>I think we have to find ways of effective communication to the modern
>>audience. What about the mention of tables, lamps, torches etc.
>>

>I replied,"That's not a good comparison. Tables have not changed that much
>from ancient Israel. But there were no rockets or explosives back then."

But lamps and torches have. (Remember that British and probably Kenyan
English "torch" = American "flashlight".) So Chemorion does have a
point, there are things mentioned in Bible translations which are
probably very different in form from what the average reader understands
them to be, although similar in function. Even so, I suspect that
"missiles" is going too far.

>So it seems an issue of what the Kenyan readers would think of. If they
>know basic English, the word "missile" might only be familiar to them as a
>term in the newspapers for advanced weapons. That would give an
>anachronistic idea to the Bible reader. "Missiles" in its meaning as simply
>something sent through the air, usually to strike a target, is less
>commonly known. Projectiles might be an alternative if you wanted to stress
>the idea of airborne weapons. But if the more general word "weapons" is
>sufficient for the NIV, then it would probably work for Chemorion as well.
>"Weapons" is also the choice of NASB, NLT, NKJV, HCSB, and NRSV. If I
>remember, there is some uncertainty about the word's exact reference.

Agreed. The uncertainty is a good reason to choose a rather generic word.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/