[b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 18:26:31 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/4/2004 4:18:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
phil-eng at ighmail.com writes:
It would appear that the LXX could be older than DSS. Using the criteria
that the oldest text is usually more authentic, DSS fails as an
independent witness authenticating either MT or LXX.
_______

Others have responded to various parts of your post.  I therefore direct
attention to your assumption that the oldest text is usually more authentic.
Since you state "usually", this is most likely true; but it is not necessarily
true that older texts are more authentic than later texts.  Errors can enter the
transmission process at any point -- including in the original production.
How often have I written something only to discover on picking it up again that
I misspelled a word or even omitted a word?  This is the reason that there are
a number of criteria in textual criticism and not simply that of the age of
the manuscript.

gfsomsel