[b-hebrew] **** CAUTION: "Hey, ya! =))" MESSAGE IS VIRUS-LADEN! ****

Kirk Lowery klowery at whi.wts.edu
Thu Mar 4 08:27:42 EST 2004

Christopher V. Kimball wrote:

> I received a message with subject line "Hey, ya! =))" with an address
>  indicating an association with this list.  My anti-virus program
> (Norton) detected a virus in this message.  Don't open the attached
> file!

Chris,

Thanks for the warning.

Everyone: Please keep in mind that the recent crop of viruses spoof the
sender's email address. Our list software has powerful virus scanners.
We do not allow attachments of *any* kind to go through the list
software -- for this very reason. I can confidently say that b-hebrew
has sent out *no* virus. If you receive any message with an attachment
that says it is from our list, that message has been faked.

The moderators have been kept *very* busy daily dealing with dozens of
"non-member posts" and bounces from email servers all over the world
complaining we have sent them a virus, when in fact our list did not.
And many, many, many incoming "posts" have arrived with a virus
attached. All of them have been caught and discarded.

"Blessed are the paranoid, for they never open unknown attachments!" :-)

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair

--