[b-hebrew] Re: stuma in Deut 5,21

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Mar 2 17:06:56 EST 2004

Michael:

Didn’t I reference those verses? I’m sorry, I
thought I had.

What I noticed is that those verses mention
the ten statements of the covenant, not ten
commands. As a legal document, the covenant
has its first statement identifying the
parties to it. Then I read this particular
legal document as having nine commands
following its introductory statement.

I met some Orthodox Jews who divided the ten
statements even as I just mentioned, and I
made the supposition that all Jews so divided
them.

Karl W. Randolph.