[b-hebrew] Ancient Language Acquisition

Trevor Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Tue Mar 2 05:26:53 EST 2004

Jonathan Walther wrote:
> When I learned to read English as a lad, I did just that; I steadily
> read my way backwards from Alice in Wonderland, to Howard Pyle, to
> Shakespeare, to Chaucer.  Beyond Chaucer I could not go; Beowulfe feels
> very familiar, but is gibberish as far as comprehension goes.  My
> English is a conglomerate of all the variations and developements from
> the past thousand years.  Would it be a bad thing to understand ancient
> Hebrew or koine Greek in the same way?

There is a major difference. You were not learning to speak English from
these sources. Also, you were cognizant of the different periods you
were reading (at least, that's the way you paint the picture above).
Imagine if you had been a foreigner trying to learn spoken English, and
someone had given you a big bag of audio tapes, all jumbled together,
with these titles, and told you to listen to them over and over again
until you acquired enough English to communicate. Imagine if during that
time, you didn't speak to anyone who already knew spoken English. What
would your English be like? Like I said, I have no problem with students
encountering the various dialects found within BH. Indeed, it cannot and
should not be avoided. But I think what you described about English is a
much better way to do it--start with one dialect, and move intentionally
into others, so you can get a feel for both the continuity and the
differences. And like I said before, if you take it more methodically
like that, and the main point is to read texts, the process of
internalization will be slow enough that you can properly assimilate the
necessary distinctions. A beginner who is trying to learn BH for the
first time and learning much like a person would learn a modern spoken
language is, IMO, a quite different situation.

Incidentally, I would be curious along the lines of this thread to know
what people think about the notion that a person ought to learn Modern
Israeli Hebrew or spoken Arabic first, before learning ancient Semitic
languages. The potential disadvantage is that modern speakers sometimes
assume too much continuity between their language and the ancient forms;
but if it were done deliberately, I think this hazard could be easily
avoided. The benefit would be that a person could begin study of ancient
languages with genuine fluency in a real, spoken language--something
that may perhaps be approached, but never achieved, with ancient
languages. In this respect, the individual could begin study of ancient
Hebrew in the same position as an English speaker beginning to study
Shakespeare or Chaucer. I haven't tried it myself, but I suspect that
there would be some significant gains. Any thoughts?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics