[b-hebrew] stuma in Deut 5,21

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Mar 1 13:12:50 EST 2004

Raymond:

Do I read your response correctly that Jews,
too, look for ten commandments in Exodus 20?

I find this interesting, as I thought that
only Christians were looking for ten
commandments, because no where in Torah is
there any indication that there should be ten
commands.

In the context of Exodus 34:28 and Deuteronomy
4:13, I read Exodus 20 as a legal document,
with an introduction statement identifying the
parties thereto, followed by nine commands,
making a total of ten statements. I thought
this was also the Jewish understanding. Am I
wrong?

I didn’t respond earlier as that reading is
not obvious from a discussion of an obscure
grammatical point.

Karl W. Randolph.