[b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 30 19:04:15 EDT 2004

Peter:

Let’s go back to your example of bear: in Norwegian å bære means to carry. As far as I know, it has only that meaning (Rolf can correct me on this). Just because the English has two roots corresponding to the same lexeme is immaterial to Norwegian, especially since a bjørn corresponds to the second English root. Norwegians studying English can speculate if the English word bear originally had one root that later became almost unrecognizable as it split apart in meaning, or if two roots merged into the same pronunciation and spelling, as history shows was the case.

As for the Hebrew use of XBL חבל within Tanakh, I see only one root expressed. In Aramaic the same spelling but a different root. In Arabic, two roots, one corresponding to Hebrew, the other Aramaic. In Mishnaic and later Hebrew (from discussions on this list) apparently use the Aramaic term as a loan word, in the same way as Esther 2:1 uses GZR with the Aramaic meaning instead of the Hebrew meaning.

Were both roots in proto-Semitic? If not, which was the original root? The earliest writings we have show Aramaic with one root, Hebrew with another, and later Arabic had both.

Karl W. Randolph.