[b-hebrew] Re: Compound Words in Hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jun 28 09:29:40 EDT 2004

On 28/06/2004 06:15, George F. Somsel wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:41:24 -0500 "Eduard C Hanganu"
><eddhanganu at hotmail.com> writes:

>>My question is purely morphological,  and please, allow me to repeat
>>it:
>>does the lexicon of the Hebrew language include COMPOUND words? And
>>if the
>>answer is affirmative, what is the Grammar that discusses this
>>matter?

There are a very few, for example B:LIY.A(AL "worthlessness" which
appears to be a compound of B:LIY "without" and YA(AL "benefit".
Gesenius (GKC 81d) discusses this point, but very briefly. In fact the
only other example which GKC recognises, apart from proper names, is
C:PAR:D."(A "frogs".

>Not to make any comment on the presence or lack thereof of compound words
>in Hebrew, I don't think this can be considered as a compound since if
>this were considered to be one concept rather than 2 the period
>envisioned would then be 6 years rather than 3.

The argument here is rather backwards: from historical events, to an
interpretation of a specific passage, to the meaning of a word, to the
structure of the Hebrew lexicon. Since we have already demonstrated that
2300 evenings *or* mornings doesn't fit the history exactly anyway,
there is no reason to write off the hypothesis that (EREB B.OQER is a
compound word meaning a period of rather over six years. Whether that
means we look for another period that this passage applies to, or
consider Daniel a false prophet, is irrelevant to the lexical and
syntactic issue.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/