[b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (Mic 2:10)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jun 25 15:17:39 EDT 2004

Dear Karl,

>A question I have is the meaning of MRC מרץ a word
>+ derivitives that occures only 3 times in Tanakh, 1 Kings 2:8, Job
>6:25 and here. Tentatively I have the meaning of vilify. Does anyone
>have any clues to nail down this definition?

HH: The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew offers two choices for the
word MRC at Micah 2:10. It could mean "be sick" or "be
forceful/difficult." You seem to be overlooking Job 16:3, which uses
a Hiphil form of the verb. There is also the noun MeReC, which DCH
takes to mean "agony," in a couple of places in Qumran material (1 QH
3:11; 6:21). The first alternative, "be sick," is allowed the Niphal
ideas of be sickening, painful, or grievous, while the Hiphil would
be sicken. The second alternative would be "provoke" in the Hiphil at
Job 16:3.

The NET Bible translates and then gives literal notes:

2:10 Get up and leave, for this land is not secure!25
Sin will thoroughly destroy it!26

25tn Heb "Arise, go, for this is no resting place." The Lord speaks
to the oppressors.
26tn Heb "uncleanness will destroy, and destruction will be severe."

HH: So NET takes MRC as implying something from the alternative based
on "be sick," which is the traditional meaning. That meaning works in
every verse, and the Qumran material supports it. BDB had a problem
with Job 6:25, but there is no real problem:

NIV: Job 6:25 How painful are honest words! But what do your arguments prove?

HCSB: Job 6:25 How painful honest words can be! But what does your
rebuke prove?

NET: Job 6:25  How painful are honest words!
But what does your reproof prove?

HH: In Mic 2:10 the HCSB has:

Get up and leave, for this is not your place of rest, because
defilement brings destruction-a grievous destruction.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard