[b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jun 25 12:08:38 EDT 2004

Dear George,

You wrote to Karl:

>Enough of discussing abstractly the meaning of XBL; let's have a concrete
>instance.  What do you do with
>
>Mic 2.10
>
>QW.M W.L:KW. K.iY Lo)_ZoT HaM.:NW.TfH B.a(a:BW.R +fM:)fH T.:TaB."L
>W:XeBeL NiM:RfC

HH: You may have missed this following post to me
because it was under a different thread, but Karl
told us what he would do with Micah 2:10. I gave
him a whole set of verses translated by NIV with
the meaning of "deal corruptly" and "destroy" for
XBL. I included the Aramaic cognate verses in the
OT. I asked Karl what he would do with the
verses, and this is what he said:

Secondly, some examples you listed below are in
Aramaic. I know enough Aramaic to read the
Aramaic portions of Tanakh, and no more. Just
because Aramaic has a particular meaning for a
lexeme, does not mean that Hebrew had the same
meaning: a good example being $KX
שכח in Hebrew meant to forget,
while in Aramaic it meant there is (found) or
very similar to Y$ יש in Hebrew.
Therefore, why should we expect that the Aramaic
XBL חנל has the same meaning as
the Hebrew lexeme? As a cognate language, we’re
not surprised if it has the same meaning, but
again, we’re not surprised if it doesn’t.

I don’t consider the NIV as an authority. As
translators, their mission is not to be on the
cutting edge of scholarship, but to follow what
others have said before them. Furthermore, it is
a semi-paraphrase.

XBL חנל in its various forms
and derivitives is used around 100 times in
Tanakh in Hebrew. The vast majority of the times
it is no question that it refers some way to
tying up or derivitive meanings of being
connected with, such as the territory tied to or
connected with  a city, the knotting up of
muscles as in cramps or labor pangs, restrictions
on people by requirements of repaying debts, and
so forth. Fewer than 10% of uses is there
question where people use the Aramaic meaning in
Hebrew, and some of those read smoothly with the
tied to or connected with meaning. Where we
disagree is if tradition is correct to say that
the Aramaic meaning is also a legitimate Hebrew
meaning, which I question.

Isaiah 13:5 one of the meanings I recognized for
XBL חנל is to pack up to carry
away, in order to despoil the land.

Maybe I’m reading some of my own experiences into
the text, but as a person who is not financially
well off, I see how the rich are restricting my
options as in Isaiah 32:7 (restrict is one of the
derivitive meanings that I recognize from to knot
up).

Isaiah 54:16 in reference to verse 17, again I
see ruination to those who make restrictions.

In Micah 2:12 those who act corruptly end up tying themselves into knots.

Job 17:1 My spirit is restricted, my days are set
up as graves for me. ( Z(K זעך
is a hapax legomai, are we sure we have the right
meaning for it? I’m not sure of its definition. )

Job 34:31 God is not the one who says I lift up
but I am not restricted, which I read to say that
God finishes what he starts.

Ecclesiastes 5:5 (6) don’t make promises before
God that you may not be able to keep, or those
that will restrict your options, the work you can
do.

Nehemiah 1:7 We are surely connected to you, but
we have not followed your commands.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard