[b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jun 25 01:14:03 EDT 2004

Dear Harold:

I have enjoyed the articles on foxes, as I enjoy learning about the wonders of nature, but very few of them actually mentioned the damage foxes make to vineyards, and those that did only mentioned damage to the fruit, not to the vines nor the vineyards themselves.

Even though I now live in San Francisco, I saw a fox in Golden Gate Park, standing under a street light on the road. It was going after some roadkill and allowed me to ride on my bicycle within a few feet of it and only ran when I stopped to take a closer look. Cute little thing. This was the only time I’ve seen a fox “in the wild”. Other wildlife I’ve seen in town include skunk, ’coon and ’possum.

Yet, even if you prove that foxes damage vineyards, that does not prove that XBL in Song of Songs 2:15 means “damage” and not “connected with” as I translate it.

When doing lexicography, if fewer than 10% of occurances of a lexeme are given a different definition, I tend to question the appropriateness of the different definition. For XBL it is only two or three examples that raise questions, all others fit grammatically, according to context and meaning. Even the two or three questionable occurances still can be resolved according to the majority meaning, therefore I question the minority meaning, namely that one connected with destruction or corruption.

Karl W. Randolph.