[b-hebrew] chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Jun 24 21:02:23 EDT 2004

Dear Peter:

Having lived in both predominently rural and predominently urban areas of the country, I found out a lot about agriculture just watching TV, even in university and industrial cities with well over 100,000 population but surrounded by crops: so many advertisements were for fertilizers, tactors, combines, insecticides and herbecides, etc. Even among those who were not connected with agriculture, they were aware of the agriculture around them.

Now that I live in an urban area, I miss those connections with agriculture.

Was ancient Jerusalem larger than a few tens of thousands at most, many of whom still worked their fields around the city? A writer in that era would have had to have been pretty dense not to have cogniscence of the agriculture around him.

Karl W. Randolph.