[b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Jun 24 16:57:17 EDT 2004

Dear Karl,

>In the references that you listed, foxes are a
>threat only to the ripe fruit, not to the
>blossoms and vines. However, they are a threat
>to other destroyers of vines, such as
>grasshoppers, mice, birds, and so forth. So one
>question is, did the ancient Israeli vitners see
>foxes as a lesser of two evils, or were they the
>greater?
>
>Secondly, the mention of foxes connected with
>vineyards is of vineyards in blossom, not at the
>time of fruit. In other words, precisely at the
>time that foxes are more a danger to vineyard
>pests than to the vines themselves.

HH: You would have to do more research, but one
thought that occurs to me is that spring might be
a time of year when foxes come out into the open
from their winter hideaways. So they might be
more easy to catch at that time of year. People
would want to catch them before they were eating
the grapes.

HH: Another thought is that they might chew on
grape embryos. Here is a statement from an
American vineyard:

As spring growth is about to begin, the sap
starts to flow through the dormant grapevines.
Once the buds emerge it will take about eight
weeks for the foliage and flowers to appear. All
of the pollinated and fertilized flowers will
become grapes. Once those little embryo grapes
appear the fertilizing and vineyard maintenance
will go into full swing right through harvest.
The grapes will gradually change color as they
ripen. Sometimes the foliage around the ripening
fruit is plucked to expose the grapes to more
warmth, light and air. Since grape varieties bud
at different times, there really is no specific
time when the vineyards are all popping out.

HH: The following description of a grape harvest
shows that a lot has happened by the time that
the flowers appear, and it seems that grapes
appear well before flowers do. In this American
vineyard the flowers come in June, and there is
also a "green harvest" of unripe grapes in that
month:
http://www.terroirs-b.com/english/wine/dicovery/thevines.htm

The life of a vine starts at the end of winter,
when the sun starts to get a little warmer. At
the end of the shoots, that have been cut down by
clippers, glistening droplets of sap start to
appear. These droplets are like tears of joy shed
by the vine awakened by the flow of new sap. The
buds swell and, with the help of the heat and
humidity, they open up and cover the vineyard
with their little green leaves, in the centre of
which, tiny bunches of grapes appear. More and
more leaves appear as the ground heats up and the
young buds develop quickly. It's this sudden
growth that can sometimes make the vine fall
victim to spring frosts. With the heat, the
branches grow long and start to become invasive
and unruly. The vine flowers (mid-June) when the
temperature hits the 20°C. The vine now needs
long days in the sunshine. The berry forms and
grows quickly. Once it is completely formed, it
changes from green to a transparent yellow or a
deep purple according to the grape varieties.
This is the véraison: by the roots and leaves, it
fills with sugar until it cannot absorb anymore.
Thus, the fruit has matured, it is time to
harvest it.

The end of the harvest marks the beginning of a
new cycle in the vine's work. The old vines are
pulled out. Then , the fruit-bearing cane is cut
off with long clippers, and the useless shoots
are removed and burned. The vine stock is ready
for spring pruning. In December, there is a
repetition of this except if the temperatures
drop below freezing. Then, peace and quiet until
the 22nd of January, St Vincent's Day, which is
also the winegrower's day, when pruning takes
place. This help to guide, to regulate, and to
improve the vine's vegetation and the fruit
production. It is a matter of "taming" the vine.
The pruning is completed in March, then
fertilisers are distributed. This is also the
month for grafting on the new plants. In April,
the soil of the vine is cleaned, then in May,
treatments against parasites, insects, fungus,
mildew and oidium are applied. In June, treatment
continues and a certain number of grapes with an
excessive production are cut. This is called the
green harvest. It is a repetition of these
activities in July and August. September is the
month to thin out the leaves, where the leaves at
the grape's level are burnt mechanically, so that
grapes are better aired and exposed to sunlight.
The end of September and beginning of October, it
is harvest-time, the crowning achievement of the
viticultural year.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard