[b-hebrew] Length of Poetic Lines

FPutnam at biblical.edu FPutnam at biblical.edu
Thu Jun 24 16:47:47 EDT 2004

Hi, Vince.

In general, I read a line of biblical poetry per clause : topic + comment
(which may include modifiers).

Artificial? Yes, indeed, but it encourages consistency of analysis, though
not of line length. I have generally found that this approach often points
up line length as one of the "boundary functions" in biblical poetry. I
have not yet figured out what to do with consecutive asyndetic [i.e.,
paratactic] verbs, which could be identified as "clauses" (and therefore
separate lines, given my rubric), but they are not extremely common.

Best wishes.

Fred

Frederic Clarke Putnam, Ph.D.
Professor of Old Testament