[b-hebrew] Shva merahephet

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jun 24 12:46:05 EDT 2004

Vadim,

Have you read W. R. Garr, "The Seghol and Segholation in Hebrew," Journal of
Near Eastern Studies 48 (1989) 109-116?

On the history of Hebrew stress, see J. Blau, _In Memoriam P. Kahle_, 1968,
33-34 or _A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew_, 30-34.

Segolate nouns form their plural from a different base, with a long A
between the second and third radicals. Because the third radical of plural
segolates was originally preceded by a vowel, it has no dagesh.

I hope I have understood your question correctly.

Ken Penner
McMaster/Hebrew