[b-hebrew] Original OT Text?

Philip Engmann phil-eng at ighmail.com
Wed Jun 23 20:34:04 EDT 2004

"Earlier translations, such as RSV, NEB, and TEV are based on a text
that
has been emended in many places. This was done with the purpose of
reconstructing the "original" text and to get rid of "obvious textual
errors". These days many scholars are of the opinion that that is a goal
that is extremely difficult and to attain and somewhat unrealistic. You
don't get there by comparing the MT and the LXX."

Hmmm. I have just spent the last 3+ years of my life doing exactly that.
I have been working on my MPhil Thesis entitled:

AN EXAMINATION OF THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SELECTED TEXTS OF THE OLD
GREEK TEXT AND THE MASORETIC TEXT.

This is in an attempt to reconstruct selected original texts by
comparing the Old Greek Text to the Masoretic Text.

I am therefore extremely interested in this viewpoint, and particularly
interested to know any alternative means to arrive at this original
text. (Of course this original text concept is a bit unrealistic and
difficult to obtain, but at least to obtain a text that is as close as
possible to this ideal original text).

Thanks,

Philip Engmann