[b-hebrew] chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jun 23 05:06:00 EDT 2004

On 22/06/2004 23:04, Yigal Levin wrote:

>I once heard Prof. Yehuda Feliks lecture on how many "mistakes" the author
>of the Song made in his understanding of nature. The way he put it,
>"Solomon" was a great poet, but he was a city boy who really had no idea
>what how vinyard worked.
>
>Yigal

In the light of Harold's reply, I wonder whether the true city boy was
"Solomon" or Prof Feliks.

Bear in mind that Jerusalem at the time the Song was written (almost
whenever that might have been) was only a small town by modern standards
and probably surrounded by vineyards. Any travel would have been at
walking pace, leaving plenty of time to observe the surrounding
vineyards and talk to those who worked in them. The author, unless
brought up in a very sheltered palace environment, would not have been
nearly as unfamiliar with vineyards as city boys today.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/