[b-hebrew] (no subject)

david.kimbrough at charter.net david.kimbrough at charter.net
Tue Jun 22 18:24:44 EDT 2004

I believe you contrasting Hebrew nouns with English nouns.

1) As some else already pointed out, it is probably more correct to say that Hebrew nouns and verbs (I suppose adjatives as well) are both *derived* from roots, combinations of three (or occationally two) consenents.  By adding different vowels between the consenents, prefixes, and suffixes, you get different nouns, verbs, adjetives, etc.

2) Many English nouns are also derived from verbs.  The noun driver from the verb *to drive*.

3) *English* words are also poor in abstractions, at least those that of Anglo-Saxon origin. Concrete words in English have a strong tendency to be of Anglo-Saxon origins while abstract words have a strong tendency to be of forign (French, Latin, or Greek) origin. *King* (an English word) is fairly concrete.  *Royalty* or *Sovereign* (French words) are abstractions.  *Money* (another english word) is concrete while *currency* (an abstraction) is again French.

Old English and BH are much poorer in abstract words than Modern English, mainly due to the period in history in which these languages existed required fewer abstract words.

Any way, that is my take.

Well in response to what was written below it is one of the most fundemental realisations that there are basically three classes of nouns:  Primitive (10%), nouns derived from nouns(30%) nouns derived from verbs (70%)?

As for the abstract/concrete mindset  --  Why do think that this is outdated? I am curious.

David Kimbrough
San Gabriel