[b-hebrew] Torah and Sheol - a response

wattswestmaas wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Tue Jun 22 11:58:21 EDT 2004

Dear learned members,

Hallo,  Thanks for the responses on this however I really feel I need to
address the points being made that these are nouns.  In ENGLISH they are
nouns I agree but not in hebrew.  I understand that hebrew is very much a
concrete language (as opposed to abstract), and that very few nouns are TRUE
nouns by western understanding.  The majority of nouns are actually derived
from verbs,  I personally find this indicative of a subtle but important
manner of perceiving the world around them.

Hence and therefore, did I ask if these 2 "nouns" were actually a participle
and infinite construct direct from the root verb rather than simply saying
that they were nouns.  After all 'shepherd' is a noun to us but it was a
verbal thought to the hebraic mindset. (just to use a common example).

If some of you believe that I am travelling down a wrong road here then
please explain.

Thanks  Chris.