[b-hebrew] Re: Genesis 1:6-7, 8:1, Waters Above and Below

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jun 21 18:14:10 EDT 2004

On 21/06/2004 05:11, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>>===== Original Message From Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org> =====
>>Akkadian: shamu, mu
>>Ugaritic: shamuma, my
>>

>The Akkadian and Ugaritic forms are also plural.

On the Akkadian, this disagrees with BDB, which I quote:

s.v. MAYIM: As. mû, pl. mê, also mâmu

s.v. SHAMAYIM: As. šamû, pl. šamê, šamûtu, also šamâmu

Now I don't take BDB as the top authority on Akkadian (and it doesn't
mention Ugaritic because it is too old - but it is what I have to hand),
but it seems to suggest that mû and šamû are regular singular nouns
which also have plural forms. Have I misunderstood BDB? Or is it wrong?

If I am right, the use of the plural form with singular meaning seems
restricted to NW Semitic as I originally said, which puts a very
different complexion on this issue than if it was found also in E Semitic.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/