[b-hebrew] MT for all OT Translations?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Jun 21 10:22:54 EDT 2004

Dear Philip,

>"All Bible Societies in the world use the Masoretic Text for Old
>Testament translations and note the variants in the footnotes".
>
>Would you agree with the above statement?

HH: No, I wouldn't. It's not true. Many translations seek what they
believe was the original reading, and that may be preserved in the
LXX, the DSS, or possibly something else. Translations occasionally
resort to emendations on the assumption that the preserved readings
are not original but testify to the presumed original reading of the
Hebrew.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard