[b-hebrew] MT for all OT Translations?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jun 21 09:42:30 EDT 2004

On 21/06/2004 05:01, Philip Engmann wrote:

>"All Bible Societies in the world use the Masoretic Text for Old
>Testament translations and note the variants in the footnotes".
>
>Would you agree with the above statement?
>
>Philip Engmann

Not all translations note the variants. In the translation project I am
working on, on the advice of the Bible Societies' consultant, footnotes
indicating textual variants were mostly deleted as confusing to new
readers, and in most cases (not all) MT was followed rather than LXX. 2
Samuel 8:13 is an example of where the translation follows LXX rather
than MT without a footnote, because there is also good evidence from
some Hebrew MSS, Syriac and parallel passages, and from the context. But
in v.12 the translation follows MT without a footnote, which seems
questionable to me.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/