[b-hebrew] Ps. 104:12 - (P)YM

George F. Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Mon Jun 21 08:29:46 EDT 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:25:51 -0700 Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>
writes:

> Your suggestion doesn't seem to have gone down well, but in support
> of it:
>
> 3) `ophayim, the form in the text with the alef ignored or treated
> as a
> mater lectionis, is not a plural but a dual, and so might well refer
> pairs or mating couples of birds. As such this can fit the context
> rather well, although not quite strictly grammatically: birds make
> nests, and pairs of them call to one another, with the implied
> result
> that they mate and produce eggs and young, so fitting the wider
> image of
> fruitfulness. This connotation is lost by "among the branches".

Peter,

I would disagree with you on this point.  The reading of the ketib makes
very good sense in the context.

Because of them [the springs of vv. 10, 11] the birds of the heaven make
their dwelling,
Between the branches they utter [their] voice.

This is simply an exposition of the benefits accruing from the divine
provision of springs.

gfsomsel