[b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sun Jun 20 23:08:10 EDT 2004

Dear Chris:

We discussed Nehemiah 1:7, and there XBL, in the context, could mean “We are surely joined to you”.

Likewise in Job 34:31 ”For God is not the one who says, I lift up but I‘m not bound.“ in other words, God is not a fickle God, but what he starts, he completes.

While Reinier de Blois and I disagree on certain meanings, the discussion enriches all of us.

The definition, as I understand it, is ”XBL to tie in knots hence to be bound up, to be bound (to) (either physically with ropes, or mentally through moral suasion or contractual obligation), to knot, to bind up (pack) into a bundle (to carry away), to bind (take as) collateral, to make twisted as a knot, to contract (knot up) muscles, to bind up in the sense of restrictions.“

Karl W. Randolph.