[b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:8 "rosh"

Chemorion chosefu_chemorion at wycliffe.org
Wed Jun 16 23:18:19 EDT 2004

Dear list members,
Please guide me.
I  have a problem with the exact meaning of "rosh" in Isaiah 7:8, which says
"For the head of Aram is Damascus and the head of Damascus is Rezin". Can I
perhaps say "For Aram relies on Damascuss and Damascuss relies on Rezin"?
There would be no need for Isaiah to tell Ahaz literally what was so obvious
to him. Looking at the context, we can see that Isaiah is talking about
relying on God. In this case he encourages Ahaz (and Judah) to trust in God
in contrast with Aram which relies on Damascus the capital, which also
relies on King Rezin (who is merely a mortal man). The same can be said of
Samaria in the following verse. I therefore suggest that "rosh" in Hebrew
could also mean "one who is relied on". Can anyone support me?
Thanks,
Chemorion D Chosefu.