[b-hebrew] Yshua said

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Wed Jun 16 22:47:02 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen" <stephen4yeshua at yahoo.com>
To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 5:11 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] Yshua said

> msh jbdy mt vjth qvm jbr `t-hyrdn hzh `th vkl-hjm hzh `l-h`r& `sr `nky ntn
lhm lbny ysr`l.

>    qvm = through or over?
> Stephen

A good example of how the use of a standard transliteration scheme avoids
confusion.  "Yshua" is a 2nd temple truncated version of Yehoshua and
immediately threw me off thinking this was a NT quote of Jesus.  I have
never seen a "j" used for an ayin and the use of v's for waws also through
me off since there were no vavs in BH.  After finally figuring out what this
was (Josh 1:2), I consider qwm as "rise up, get ready and move your dusty
butts."

Jack Kilmon