[b-hebrew] Masoretic Text - scribes faithful to the text

Schmuel schmuel at escape.com
Wed Jun 16 20:13:20 EDT 2004

Hi b-hebrew,

Schmuel
>>One vital point is that what is called the LXX is often diffuse and diverse and rather dubious manuscripts from 350 AD and late...  Floyd Nolan Jones discusses it some in a book on the web...

Philip Engmann
>>Is there any reference for Floyd Nolan Jones's book on the web?

Peter,
>Steven/Schmuel gave a reference on this list last year (http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2003-June/015406.html), in a thread on Psalm 40:6:

>>The Septuagint: A Critical Analysis by Floyd Nolan Jones p.45
>>http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/1157/floyd-jones.htm
>>http://www.floydjones.org/ebooks2.html

Thank you, Peter :-)

And the Fred Miller reference is part of his excellent Isaiah  web site.
http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/
The Great Isaiah Scroll section, especially.  Fantastic job.

The Daniel Sapp article is actually in the book called..
"Jesus and the Suffering Servant - Isaiah 53 and Christian Origins"
The chapter is
"The LXX, 1 QIsa, and Mt Versions of Isaiah 53 and the Christian Doctrine of Atonement"

Here is the RBL book review (of the whole book, chapters vary, by different authors).
http://www.bookreviews.org/bookdetail.asp?TitleId=383
11. David A. Sapp, "The LXX, 1QIsa, and MT Versions of Isaiah 53 and the Christian
Doctrine of Atonement," detects significant textual and theological differences between
the MT (along with 1QIsa) and the LXX of Isaiah 53. Comparing these versions with
respect to the depiction of the fate of the Servant, Sapp verifies that the Greek texts
consistently soften the stronger expressions of the Hebrew texts over the "unjust death of
a righteous Servant" (p. 184). This demonstrates the affinity of the atoning theology of
the Christian gospels to the MT in contrast with the LXX.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D156338230x/societyofbiblicaA/103-5344021-6788613

I haven't succeeded in my (not extensive) efforts to contact Daniel Sapp.  If anybody can help on that , it would be appreciated, his study there is really an A-1 work.

Another related, albeit edgy, topic, can begin with the following article by Thomas Strouse.
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/myths-masoretic-text.html
SCHOLARLY MYTHS PERPETUATED ON REJECTING THE
MASORETIC TEXT OF THE OLD TESTAMENT

There is some very interesting material in the Strouse article, especially the
claims that a number of NT verses truly require an inspired Masoretic Text to
be understood with full consistency.

Apparently there has been a vibrant discussion about the full authority of the Masoretic Text,
including the vowel points.  This idea is not popular in textcrit circles today, except
perhaps among some Jewish scholars (e.g. Professor Lawrence Schiffman) and the
related Textus Receptus/King James Bible oriented scholars in Christian circles.

Here are the (pro-MT) references I have for that discussion.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

George Sayles Bishop (1836-1914) :
    The Inspiration of the Hebrew Letters and Vowel-Points

John Moncrieff (1833).
    An Essay on the Antiquity and Utility of the Hebrew Vowel-Points

Dr. John Gill  (1767)
A Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel Points, and Accents

The first article is available at
http://www.biblefortoday.org/BFT_Catalog/category_c8-12.htm for $2
Or from the Dean Burgon Society.

The others are available in reprint from Good Books
http://members.aol.com/goodbooks7/Hebrew.htm
I haven't yet checked if they are available in regular edition.

John Owen has a work as well, I don't have the name yet.
The Owen and Gill writings are on a CD from Ages Software http://www.ageslibrary.com/ .

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY