[b-hebrew] Eden

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 16 03:30:48 EDT 2004

Jack:

I am not a scientist, that is why I cited Dr. George Gaylord Simpson‘s definition. I have found no textbook (years ago, I looked in several) that contradicted Dr. Simpson‘s definition. Every scientist I asked said his definition is correct.

I also took Dr. Simpson‘s definition of evolution. Again, other biology textbooks gave the same definition.

Do you mean to say that Dr. Simpson, who in his day was a famous professor of biology and evolution at Harvard University, didn‘t know what he was talking about? That takes more chutzpah than I have.

Logically, evolution cannot be scientific, because by definition it violates the definition of science given in science textbooks. It’s not even historical because it is not based on past observation (though contradicted by some, e.g. http://www.genesispark.com/genpark/ancient/ancient.htm ). It is no more than a religious belief developed over thousands of years, which is why it is such a hot button subject.

This is all that I plan to say on this subject, which should be off list anyway.

Concerning proto-Semitic, I don‘t deny that there was such a language. Some claim that Hebrew itself may have been that proto-Semitic, but I don‘t see clear evidence beyond philosophic wishful thinking to back it up. Are the oldest extant clay tablets closer to that original Semitic language, or copies of copies originally written on leather? Is there any way to tell from presently available data, or not? I think not.

But there are those who claim to be able to ”reconstruct“ proto-Semitic, but they do so based on presuppositions that may or may not be correct. They then make confident statements as to Biblical Hebrew based on their theories which may be incorrect. What I want is observation, realizing that it may never come. I prefer to remain without answers to some of these questions based on observation, than have answers that unknowingly may be wrong because they are based not on observation. In other words, I‘d rather have fewer answers but trust the answers I have because they are based on observation, than to have more answers but not know which ones to trust.

Karl W. Randolph.