[b-hebrew] Eden

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Tue Jun 15 11:04:42 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org>
To: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon at historian.net>
Cc: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph at email.com>; "Hebrew"
<b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eden

> On 15/06/2004 06:55, Jack Kilmon wrote:
>
> >-----

FACTS
> >that the theory explains, not ONE has YET falsified it. ...
> >

> Maybe. Maybe it is still called a theory, rather than a fact (at least
> by careful scientists), because it has not yet been verified.

That's because there is a misunderstanding by laymen, Pete, on what is meant
by the term "theory" in science.  The scientific definition is actually the
highest level of certainty following a LAW and there have been no new laws
in a very long time.  A theory, in science, is a construction that explains
all of the facts (in this case thousands of facts) and from which certain
predictions can be made.  I don't think the Theory of Gravity or the Theory
of Relativity have yet to be verified.

>Anyway, I
> deliberately restricted my comments to the *mechanisms* of evolution. In
> 150 years no one as far as I know has put forward plausible *mechanisms*
> by which random mutations can produce the complex and beneficial
> structures which natural selection can favour. Correct me if I am wrong,
> off list.

Well, yes, you are wrong and we can discuss it on another list designed for
this if you wish.