[b-hebrew] Limmuday (Isa 8:16)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Jun 15 09:01:15 EDT 2004

Dear Shai,

>There is no stretch at all. Read jastrow's citations carefully:
>
>This "frame of mortised shingles" was used as covering both to the oven
>(kelim 5, 9) and to the vat (mo'ed qata 2, 2).
>
>In the case of the oven, the limmudim were used to keep the heat inside;
>In the case of the vat, they used it to seal it off with limmudim, in
>order that the wine won't get sour. See the commentators ad loc.
>
>I think it goes very well with the verb XTM, "to seal", in Isa 8:16.

HH: Your proposal does nothing with the suffix on BLMDY in Isa 8:16.

>  > > All translations identify "limmuday" with "desciples" (NRSV gives:
>>  > "bind
>>  > up the testimony, seal the teaching among my disciples"), as do
>>  > HALOT
>  > > and BDB.

HH: This should give you pause.

>  > > Yet it doesn't really fit: if the disciples will get the law, why
>>  > should
>  > > it be *sealed* in them?

HH: This seems the heart of the difficulty. It needs to be sealed up
with them until such time as the nation as a whole was ready to
listen to it. The problem with Israel is that it is not really
following the Lord and has no genuine adherence to His word. So as
long as this period of rebellion lasts, Isaiah's disciples need to
preserve and protect God's word. The idea of a seal for the law until
rebellion is past seems similiar to God's call to Daniel to seal up
the prophecies until their time of fulfillment:

Dan. 12:4 But you, Daniel, close up and seal the words of the scroll
until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase
knowledge."

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard