[b-hebrew] Eden

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Jun 15 01:19:44 EDT 2004

Dear Peter:

Now that you bring in science

When I was in college, one of my profs was a missionary for evolution, and to aid in his efforts to convert all of us to believing his religion, he had us use a biology textbook by Dr. George Gaylord Simpson. In its introduction, the textbook had a multipage definition of science complete with examples and counter examples. Briefly, science depends on observation, but in order for that observation to be scientifically relevant, it must be a repeatable observation. Upon noting patterns in observations, hypothesis are made which, upon testing by more, repeatable observations, are developed into theories. Of course, you know that.

After making that definition, Dr. Simpson defined evolution as the theory that teaches that all life are descended by natural means from simple, common ancestors over a long period of time. (I know that‘s not an exact quote, but it is pretty close.) Though he called it ”a scientific fact“, it violates the definition of science he had just spend pages developing. That theory is not scientific at all. Evolution is a perfect example of ”bad science“.

I do not know of a single ”evidence“ for evolution that does not, at least in part, depend on presuppositions that cannot be observed—geologic stratigraphy (Charles Lyell, before Darwin), radiometric dating, phylogeny, etc.—every one depends at least in part on inobservable presuppositions.

This is not a claim that ”creation science“ is science. It is not science for the same reasons evolution is not science.

The reason I objected to ”proto-Semitic“ language, especially as a yardstick to evaluate Biblical Hebrew, is because it, like evolution, is based on inobservable presuppositions that may or may not be true. I would prefer to stay with that which can be observed, in this case, the Biblical Hebrew language recorded in Tanakh and what few other writings in Biblical Hebrew that we have found.

Karl W. Randolph.