[b-hebrew] DSS and Roman numerals

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Mon Jun 14 09:40:06 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary" <gary.pauley at millcreek-kc.org>
To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26 AM
Subject: [b-hebrew] DSS and Roman numerals

> I recently read an article telling about Roman numberals (a 2 and a 3)
found
> in the text of the Isaiah Scroll. Supposedly the existence of these
numerals
> cast doubt on the dating of the DSS. Anyone know anything about this?

There is a discussion of this on the textual criticism list.  The proponents
Altman and Crowder have been gadflying this medieval origin for the DSS for
years.  There are a number of explanations for the scribal anomalies which
also include very discolored pages of the scrolls as well as creative bat
shit.

Jack