[b-hebrew] Amelek (Ex 17:16) 'Sworn' or 'Throne of GoD'?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jun 14 06:08:20 EDT 2004

On 13/06/2004 07:24, wattswestmaas wrote:

>Members of the List - Hallo.
>
>Subject:  KeSJaH  --  EXODUS 17:16  --  War with Amelek
>
>I have two possibilities here;  either that this word is made up of KeS (in
>the construct and therefore bound to the name of God also in contraction)
>and JaH.  OR the word is linked to a rather forced situation where it means
>'The Lord has Sworn'.  What is more is that in one bible I have the letter
>'HeH' on the word Jah with a dagesh signifying JaH as GoD (by virtue that it
>becomes a consonant) and in my other bible I have it without the dagesh
>signifying that this is obviously a vowel situation or direction of purpose.
>
>In thinking about these 2 translations I cannot help but consider the
>circumstances of Moshe's raised hands in this symbolic struggle as helping
>me to decide on the idea that 'a hand to the throne of GoD is more
>appropriate.
>
>As always I appreciate your knowledgable insights to make up for where I am
>lacking.

I'm not sure where you get the idea from that this may mean "the Lord
has sworn". But my interpretation of the phrase would be that it is an
oath formula, shortened from "I swear with my hand on the Lord's
throne", and perhaps comparable to the English phrase "hand on heart".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/