[b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jun 11 07:27:10 EDT 2004

Dear David K.,

>I would point out that according to traditional
>chronologies the Isrealites were in captivity in Egypt at
>this time.  An unlikely place and population to influce
>Sumerian poetry.

HH: Remember, I was the one who doubted that there was any
relationship between the two pieces of writing. I've read them both
and don't see that there has to be any connection at all.

>We can only go on the evidence at hand.  There is no
>evidence of any kind for the existence of the Hebrew
>language or Hebrew versions of Job-like poems around 1700
>BC. If new evidence arises, it can be considered.  Without
>evidence of some sort, it is just speculation.

HH: Well, my original point was that claiming a dependence of Job on
the "The Riighteous Sufferer" was speculation.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard