[b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Jun 10 22:49:42 EDT 2004

Dear David K.,

      In support of Dave Washburn's possibility thinking, some ancient
orderings of the biblical books put Job right after the Pentateuch,
and this may be due to the thought that Job lived in the patriarchal
times. A popular conservative dating for Abraham puts his birth in
2166 B.C. By that scheme, if Job had been contemporary with Abraham,
then his story could have been written prior to 1700 B.C. I've
recently been reading about the canon, and the fact came up that the
ancient rabbinic Jews had several conceptions about when Job should
be dated, and a patriarchal date was one of them.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard