[b-hebrew] Aspect

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Thu Jun 10 11:58:40 EDT 2004

Dear Peter,

What I tried to convey can be illustrated the following way:  The
verb $YR "to sing" is marked for durativity and dynamicity.
Regardless of whether you use the verb as QATAL, YIQTOL, or
participle, you can never blot out the dynamicity and durativity of
the root.  On the other hand, punctiliarity and stativity can change,
because a punctiliar verb in Hebrew can in one context have a
durative interpretation and a stative verb can in one context have a
fientive interpretation. I  think most Hebraists would agree with
this, possible except in the case with punctiliarity.

Regarding aspect, my claim is that a YIQTOL will always be
imperfective, and no context can change that. Could you please refer
to scholars who believe in an aspectual interpretation of Hebrew
verbs who say that YIQTOL has one aspect in one context and another
aspect or no aspect in other contexts?

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli