[b-hebrew] Aspect

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jun 10 11:20:58 EDT 2004

On 10/06/2004 07:40, furuli at online.no wrote:

> I would say that the aspect can *only* be seen by verb morphology:
> QATAL and WEQATAL always signal the perfective aspect.  A Hebrew
> aspect can never be neutralized, but its nature is not always made
> visible in communication  (this is very important but usually neglected.

I think that to be fair to a relative beginner like Eduard, you should
warn him that your view is idiosyncratic, and in particular that your
statement "A Hebrew aspect can never be neutralized" is in fact an axiom
or starting point of your system of linguistic analysis (and one which
is quite unacceptable on principle to me and to many others) rather than
a result of your analysis.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/