[b-hebrew] Aspect

Eduard C Hanganu eddhanganu at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 08:58:54 EDT 2004

Dear Ethan:

Honestly, I took the opportunity offered to me by the topic to refer to a
difficulty I have been having with the aspect of the verb. The meaning of
the verb is important, of course, but though NITZDAK is a hapax, the
semantic unit that constitutes the discourse fragment from Daniel 8:9-14
offers enough information for its meaning, which must be in the area of
'restoration' of the 'holy' from the trampling of the little horn.

My interest, though, was less in the meaning of the verb as in its aspect.
Is the verb describing a progressive action, a short, telic event, an open
event ( with a beginning and no defined end )? I thought that an analysis of
the morphology of the verb would indicate the aspect of its described action
in spite of the fact that the meaning of the verb might seem imprecise.

We must also consider the fact that while the 'sense' of a word is not
dependent on the context, its 'meaning' is context dependent, and that the
context generally disambiguates meaning even to the degree that a word whose
sense is totally unknown may acquire meaning through the limits imposed on
its possible range of meanings by the context. So, in this analysis the
meaning of the verb under discussion may not be so important if the focus is
the morphological analysis of the word.

To repeat myself, what does the morphology of the verb NITZDAK indicate
about its aspect:
is the verb describing a progressive action or process, a short, telic
event, an open event ( with a beginning and no defined end ), a punctiliar
action, etc.?

What is your perspective in this matter?

Regards,

Eduard