[b-hebrew] OT Translations

FPutnam at biblical.edu FPutnam at biblical.edu
Thu Jun 10 08:40:18 EDT 2004

Friends,

'Lectio difficilior' is a widely accepted rule, but (like 'lectio
brevior') is only a guideline, not a rule. The only true *rule* is "That
reading is to be preferred which can best be explained as the source of
the other readings" (Emanuel Tov, although this may be only a paraphrase,
not a direct quote).

Privileging a[ny] textual tradition is inherently misleading, since
concluding that, e.g., MT is correct 90% of the time does not [ought not]
prejudice us to favour MT at 9:1 odds for any particular reading. The 90%
preferral rate is a result, not a working principle or assumption. [And I
am of course making up the number!]

I'd love to chat more, but I'm off to teach ... Hebrew discourse!

Peace.

Fred

Kyrie eleison.
Frederic Clarke Putnam, Ph.D.