[b-hebrew] Yachid and echad - Oneness?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 9 18:52:49 EDT 2004

Dear Chris:

I have heard this argument before, primarily from Christians who want to say that the concept of the Trinity is implied in the Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4). However, I cannot verify it.

YXYD יחיד comes from the root that has its main idea of a group coming together to act as one. It is used of brothers living together in harmony. YXYD therefore has its main meaning of being together with. (It may have had the concept of absolute oneness in later Hebrew, but I haven‘t found it in Biblical Hebrew.)

)XD אחד means one, but it also includes the idea of two or more coming together as one. In plural it means few or small in number.

I‘m open to further discussion, but this is how I see it at this time.

Karl W. Randolph.